Sunday, September 23, 2012

E-reader grant application

I am in the process of writing a grant for e-readers for my library to check out to teachers, and eventually students to take home.  The first step is to get enough for a small novel study group, see how often they are used, then decide if they can be checked out next fall.

E-readers are appealing for the same reason as buying iPods and MP3 players for downloadable audiobooks was exciting two years ago: instant access to books for students.  I like being able to hand a student just the right book when they want it or desperately need it for their class.  It is satisfying and helps build that idea that you can find things successfully in a library, whether it is a book or an audiobook or information.

The discussions I am having with staff lately is centered around the question of which e-readers to choose.  We have a very supportive public schools foundation that invites grants from classrooms (including the library) for projects and materials, including artists-in-residence, dance education, books, technology, and many other ideas.  I am in the process of writing my grant application, and have found several good resources for supporting information to help complete the form.  Many questions have come up both on the application and in my conversations with teachers:

  • Why would e-readers be a helpful tool in the library and classroom environment?
  • How would students be limited and protected in their use of e-readers?
  • Who would benefit from having e-readers in our library?
  • Which grade levels would use them?
  • How would we protect our investment?
  • How will students be trained?
  • How will we purchase new e-books?
  • How will the decisions be made as to which titles to purchase?
  • Where will the money to sustain this program come from?
  • What additional money/items are necessary to complete this project?
  • What connections can be made with the curriculum?
  • How will we measure the success/failure/usage of the e-readers program?
  • Are teachers supportive of e-readers and have shown interest in using e-readers?
I am just beginning my research, and have found several interesting articles online with bits and pieces of information that I am using to inform my own grant writing.  I thought I would collect them all here and then follow up after I have made decisions and written my grant application.

Articles of interest:

No comments:

Post a Comment