Thursday, June 2, 2011

Interactions with teachers

A short blog post about a technology teacher's interaction with a classroom teacher really struck a nerve with me. I struggle daily with how to approach specific teachers in my building. Some are open to new ideas, some are in denial that they will ever have to learn much beyond how to send an email, some want to try things that are way beyond their abilities, but I don't want them to experience deep disappointment and become discouraged. It is a constant balance of assessing their needs and wants and how they will react when I discuss technology with them.

The teacher in the article was honest with a classroom teacher, telling her essentially that if she really wants to be using technology, she needs to move beyond the projector, computer and PowerPoint. Now, we all know that she is using technology, but technology integration in education has moved far beyond that level of engagement. This connects with the last post on the Technology Integration Matrix. This teacher is using technology tools in a conventional and procedural way, without student choice or self-directed work, as far as we can tell from the blog post. She is ready to move on, based on the conversation, but it took knowledge of the classroom teacher and her comfort level to begin this conversation this abruptly.

I know most of my teachers well, but I only know two or three who would welcome this kind of open conversation. I need to think more about how I will approach my teachers about collaborating on technology integration, without raising their defenses.

No comments:

Post a Comment